Guest post contributed by the Downlite Bedding team. Downlite designs, manufactures, and markets comfort bedding for major hotel chains, airbnb hosts, and consumers. The family-owned business is an industry leader with three generations of product-knowledge and experience.
Do it for the guests (and your business)
Your guests begin and end their day in your bed. It’s their place to recharge at the end of a long day and wake up energized to face a new one. When it comes to you (or your guests’) health, nothing is more important than a good night’s sleep – making your guest bedroom one of the most important spaces in your rental. Medical professionals recommend we sleep about eight hours a night for better health, therefore, your bed plays an even greater role in achieving optimal well-being during your guests’ stay.
You may not consider a bedroom makeover a worthwhile investment, but purchasing a high-quality mattress, some new paint or luxurious hotel bedding isn’t just about home design. Transforming your guest bedroom into a restful retreat is an investment in your business and your guests’ health, too. If their room is cluttered or lifeless, chances are their brain isn’t receiving very pleasant signals. You may have the urge to dive in and do a complete bedroom remodel. To get started, it’s important to take small steps:
Prioritize your needs
- Start with the mattress – To prevent tossing and turning all night, you might consider a new mattress. As you shop around, don’t be shy about investigating different brands and levels of firmness. A reputable store will work with you to find a good fit.
- Upgrade your bedding – Down bedding is particularly effective in providing lasting comfort that translates into improved sleep. If the sheets, comforter, pillows, or any other part of the bed might make them feel itchy, hot, cold, or just plain uncomfortable, consider new bedding.
In these situations, you’ll want to focus a little less on price and more on quality. Paying a little extra for down bedding that’s going to last longer, or more importantly provide consistent rest, is an investment in your rental business and your guests’ well-being. For Airbnb hosts with smaller properties, these upgrades play an even more pivotal role.
Stimulate the senses
Now that you’ve fixed the bed, you can start working on ways to make your bedroom pleasing to the senses:
- Visual appeal – If your bedroom is too bright or lacks any color, you may need to break out the paintbrush. Be sure to focus on soothing colors.
- Aromatherapy – Try introducing fresh flowers, plants, or light diffusion scents; but stay away from harsh perfume smells. Your nose will thank you.
- Quiet down – Reduce the amount of sound entering the room and coming from within the room (loud fan, electronics etc.). Too much noise negatively affects quality sleep.
- Improve the feel – It’s worth repeating that quality bedding is key to maximizing their comfort level. If they don’t feel completely relaxed in bed, you’ve lost the battle.
Benefits outweigh the effort
The effort involved in converting your home into a vacation rental, especially the bedroom, may not sound like the most appealing of tasks, but it’s important to understand the potential benefits:
- Better business – A good host is a competitive host, and guests notice when their Airbnb sacrifices quality for cost. Instead of striving for customers, strive for repeat customers. Your wallet will thank you later.
- Better sleep – By creating a bedroom that allows guests to escape from the pressures of life with sound slumber, they’ll feel more energized each morning (and will associate your rental with that feeling).
- Better health – A good night’s sleep is the springboard to everything healthy. You feel more alert, you accomplish more, and you make decisions that increase your well-being.
- Better life – Introducing quality sleep to guests on business-trips is critical. With better sleep, they are better prepared to handle the challenges life throws their way.
By fixing the bed first with quality bedding and making your guest bedroom relaxing to the senses, your guests can enjoy a more relaxing visit (and return!).