Streamline is a powerful all-in-one property management system (PMS), but it can be complex. So it may not be right for your business.
If you’re looking for Streamline alternatives or investing in your first-ever PMS, it’s crucial to find the right platform for you. Switching PMS is no small feat, so you’ll want to get it right from the word go to minimize the risk of disruption or downtime further down the line.
But with so many Streamline alternatives and property management software out there, how can you know which is best for you?
We’ve found five alternatives to Streamline, and listed features, pricing, and the latest user reviews—so you can see how they compare.
- Who Streamline is for
- Why you might need a Streamline alternative
- What to look for in a Streamline alternative
- The 5 best Streamline alternatives: Hostfully, Track, Hostaway, OwnerRez, and Escapia
Who is Streamline for?
Streamline is a highly-respected, powerful all-in-one tool. It is used mainly by vacation rental property managers with a large portfolio.
These clients often appreciate its advanced features, such as built-in accounting and a customer relationship management (CRM) platform. So they can automatically gather data and see insights across larger portfolios.
Streamline is widely recognized in the industry, and won at the VRMB Keystone Awards in 2021. It is also a Preferred Partner of Airbnb and has an Elite Vrbo connection.
Why might you need an alternative to Streamline?
Streamline’s long list of features can get complex. So vacation rental managers (VRMs) with fewer properties or less time to spend on setup may choose a vacation rental PMS that’s more scaled back, agile, and could better suit their needs.
You don’t need all of Streamline’s features
Streamline is an all-in-one platform that offers a wide range of tech tools for vacation rentals under one roof. While this can be helpful to save time, or if you’re starting with a PMS from scratch, it can mean that you could risk paying for complex features that you don’t use.
It’s an older solution
Streamline has over 20 years of experience in the vacation rental industry. However, this means that some users may find the platform less agile and harder to update in comparison to newer platforms.
Newer PMSs tend to be built with open API functionality and flexibility in mind. So you may find that a newer platform can adapt to your changing business and easily connect to more third-party tools compared to more long-standing platforms.
Streamline doesn’t publish its pricing, but it has been reported to start at $1,000 per month (plus $5 per unit for its revenue management tool), increasing depending on the number of units.
Depending on how many features you need, and how large your portfolio is, this could become costly. It’s difficult to calculate whether Streamline fits your budget, simply because it doesn’t publish pricing on its website.
Streamline has a considerable number of features, so it’s not surprising some users report that it has a learning curve, especially on set-up. Some also feel the platform doesn’t offer them “adequate support,” and can be complex even for “tech-savvy” staff.
So if you’re looking for a simpler, easy-to-set-up platform, then an alternative may be better for you.
What should you look for in a Streamline alternative?
Let’s explore what you should look out for when it comes to comparing options.
Wide range of integrations
A Streamline alternative should make it easier for you to connect your PMS to a wide array of Airbnb management tools and platforms that simplify your business operations. Choose a platform with a dynamic open API, connections to major online travel agencies (OTAs), payment processors, accountancy software, task managers, etc.
Simplicity and ease of use
If you’re one of the Streamline users that finds it complex to use, then you’ll want your alternative to prioritize simplicity and ease of use. Whether this means that it has a simple user interface, a modern dashboard, or user reviews attesting to easy setup and good support, this will be a key priority in your search.
Messaging guests manually can take hours and can require you to stay stuck to your phone or laptop typing out the same replies repeatedly. Using a PMS with advanced messaging automation lets you send pre-written messages at the exact right time using triggers. So you’ll never forget to send an email or SMS, and your guests have all the info they need when they need it. Also, responding to messages fast is key to achieving Airbnb Superhost status.
Booking journey or pipeline
Growing your business means understanding where your main leads (aka prospective guests) are coming from and where they are in their booking journey. If someone is sent a quote but doesn’t book, or they pay but haven’t yet received check-in instructions, it’s important to know why.
Using a tool with a booking pipeline lets you see where your guests are in their journey so you can follow up promptly and ensure they have all the details they need at each stage.
Switching PMS can be technically complex. You need to unplug from your existing PMS and wait for the new one to come online. So there’s a risk of missing messages or bookings in the interim. Even with the simplest platform, you’ll have questions and need some support to get up to speed.
So you’ll want to find a PMS that offers excellent support tailored to your business needs and users’ skill level.
It’s easier to compare software and understand how much it’ll cost for your specific portfolio size if you find a platform that offers a simple, easy-to-calculate pricing structure based on the number of units.
A good Streamline alternative will offer pricing per unit and/or simple pricing bands that show what you get for the price and how many properties it covers—ideally without needing a bespoke quote.
Easy-to-update digital guidebooks
Streamline offers a guest app, which enables you to send guests crucial information such as check-in details. However, most PMSs don’t have a proper guidebook feature designed to make it easy to include and update house manuals and policies, and local recommendations. You can also improve the guest experience by sharing essential information and answering FAQs before they arise. This also cuts down on repetitive guest communication and frustration, so any good Streamline alternative should include this.
The 5 best Streamline alternatives for vacation rental managers
Now you know what you’re looking for, let’s dig into the platforms themselves.
We’ve compared them according to which type of business they might work best for, their key features, pricing, and what users say about them.
Here’s our selection for Streamline alternatives:
- Hostfully – Best for businesses of any size who want an in-depth overview of leads and excellent support
- Track – Short-term rental property managers with large hospitality portfolios looking to scale further
- Hostaway – Best for larger businesses looking for a wide range of integrations and features to scale
- OwnerRez – Best for small-to-medium property management businesses looking for automation at a clear price
- Escapia – Best for property managers with 25+ properties who need advanced features
Hostfully is an all-in-one, award-winning property management platform that has Preferred Partner status with Airbnb, Vrbo, and Booking.com. It picked up awards from the VRMB Keystone Awards in 2019 and 2021 (no awards were given to anyone in 2020) and offers a wide range of integrations. It also specializes in offering white-glove personalized support.
Best for: Businesses of any size who want an in-depth overview of leads and excellent support. The option to add on Hostfully’s stand-alone, proprietary Hostfully Guidebooks feature is a bonus.
- Booking Pipeline Management – Keep at-a-glance track of your guests’ booking journey and see how potential leads move through the pipeline, so you can optimize marketing, plan future bookings more accurately, and maximize revenue
- Channel Distribution – Integrations with 14 leading OTAs and niche sites
- Mobile App – On-the-go property management, including calendars and guest communication
- Central Calendar – View all reservations in a single place and avoid double bookings
- Automated Messaging – Save time and never forget crucial info with pre-written messages
- Direct Bookings Site – Drive direct bookings, improve guest relationships, gather guest data for future marketing campaigns, and save on OTA fees
- Unified Inbox – See all messages in one place so you can reply to guests quickly and easily and improve response times and satisfaction
- Upsell Services – Generate more revenue and delight guests with extra amenities
- Payment Processing – Popular integrations to collect payments and security deposits
- Owner Management – Generate regular financial reports and keep owners happy
- Pricing Tools – Integration with dynamic pricing tools to ensure competitive rates
- White-Glove Support – Onboarding services and tailored customer care
- Starts at $99 per month for Starter (1-4 units)
- $189 for Pro (5-11 units)
- From $239 for Pro Plus (12-19 units)
- From $250 for Premium (20+ units)
Hostfully is priced to reward growth. It enables you to calculate costs per number of units, with no hidden extras or fees. Its online calculator runs to $1,500 per month for 250 properties. Managers with more than 250 properties can request a personalized quote.
Hostfully doesn’t offer a free trial.
How does Hostfully compare to Streamline?
Hostfully is a newer software than Streamline and is suitable for small businesses as well as larger VRMs. Users report excellent support and amazing customer service and particularly praise the variety of integrations and ease of use.
Hostfully has also now launched a mobile app to make life easier for those who need to manage their business on the go.
Track positions itself as a fast-moving, innovative, enterprise software solution that enables companies to scale. It won at the VRMB Keystone Awards in 2021 and is a Google Vacation Rentals Partner. Its standout features include an online booking engine and a built-in trust accounting system. Track also has marketing services and solutions positioned at larger businesses, such as features for reservation managers.
Best for: Short-term rental property managers with large hospitality portfolios looking to scale further.
- Trust Accounting – Fast financial management for complex tax accounting
- Triggers and Automations – Save time with web-based tools, schedules, and templates
- Channel Management – Direct connections with OTAs including Vrbo, Airbnb and Home2Go
- Rates and Reservations – Revenue management tools for updated dynamic pricing
- Direct Booking Engine – Integrated engine with payment processing for direct bookings
- Guest and Owner Portals – Platforms to offer guests and owners all the details they need, like revenue reports, check-in details, house rules, etc.
- Integrations – Huge array of integrations to third-party tools including insurance, guest experience services, and smart locks
Track doesn’t publish its pricing publicly or offer a pricing calculation tool on its website. Instead, it offers personalized quotes based on the number of units or rooms.
Track doesn’t offer a free trial.
How does Track compare to Streamline?
Like Streamline, Track goes way back in the industry and is part of a hospitality industry company that was founded more than 20 years ago. This means that it has had the time to develop a lot of features and has had many iterations over the years. However, it may be a little less easy to connect to third-party tools than newer entrants into the market.
Hostaway is a well-known all-in-one property management system specially designed for vacation rentals. It is a Preferred Partner of Airbnb, Booking.com, Google Vacation Rentals, Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott Homes & Villas, and Tripadvisor. It has also won accolades including Front Runner in the 2022 Software Advice awards and in the GetApp 2022 Leaders category.
Best for: Larger businesses looking for a wide range of integrations and tools to scale.
- Reservations Manager – Keep track of bookings and inquiries and send offers and upsells
- Performance Dashboard – Get an at-a-glance view of business and boost conversions
- Channel Manager – Preferred Partner of Airbnb, Vrbo, Expedia and Booking.com
- Automation Tools – Schedule messages, reviews, tasks, and streamline workflows
- Communication Tools – Benefit from a unified inbox and owner and guest portals
- Marketing Solutions – Drive direct bookings with your own website and offer coupons
- Operations Solutions – Enable payment processing, signatures, and smart lock setup
- Mobile App – Manage your business and communicate even on-the-go
- Open API – Integrate almost any software or build your own tool
- Analytics and Reporting – Make data-based decisions with a wide range of reporting tools
Hostaway doesn’t make its pricing public, and invites interested users to request a quote online. However, users report that it costs around $50 per property per month. This equates to $1,000 for 20 properties.
Hostaway doesn’t offer a free trial.
How does Hostaway compare to Streamline?
Just like Streamline, Hostaway offers a huge range of features that may be more than you need, depending on your portfolio size. Unlike Streamline, however, Hostaway positions itself as suitable for vacation rental businesses of all sizes. That said, the pricing structure may put it out of reach for smaller hosts.
OwnerRez vacation rental software positions itself as suitable for homeowners with only a few units, as well as property managers with a larger portfolio. It’s also a Preferred Partner of Airbnb, Booking.com, and Tripadvisor and an Elite Vrbo Partner. It won the Software Advice Most Recommended award in 2021 and the Best Functionality & Features award the same year.
Best for: Small-to-medium property management businesses looking for automation with a modern, intuitive dashboard.
- Channel Management – Integrations to major OTAs and niche sites
- Messaging – Email, SMS, and Airbnb messaging sent automatically on pre-set schedules
- Website Tools – Drive direct bookings via a proprietary website builder or WordPress plugin
- Finance and Accounting – Use leading processors to take payments and handle security deposits, and manage taxes and revenue
- Property Management – Generate owner statements and manage property accounting
- CRM – Automations for lead management, data capture, and long-term marketing campaigns
- Reporting – Wide variety of reports on all kinds of key performance indicators (KPIs)
- $100 for one property per month with all features included
- $420 for 20 properties per month, all features included
- $3,014 for 500 units per month, all features included
OwnerRez offers a sliding calculator on its website, making it easy to see how much it costs per property up to 500 units. After that, it’s custom priced. Pricing given here includes all features—like property management, QuickBooks integration, direct booking, and SMS messaging. However, you can bring the price down by opting out of some of these.
OwnerRez offers a free 14-day trial.
How does OwnerRez compare to Streamline?
While still powerful, OwnerRez offers fewer features than Streamline, which may make it more suitable for smaller businesses that only need some specific core features.
Users particularly appreciate how much automation it offers. However, some wish support was available live rather than by email. Others note the user interface is not as up-to-date or aesthetically pleasing as some competitors.
Escapia is vacation rental software for medium-to-large businesses that are aiming to scale and bring more owners onto their books. It positions itself as an innovative platform with over 100 features.
Best for: Property managers with 25+ properties who need many advanced features.
- Performance Dashboard – Track business performance in real-time using visual data
- Opportunities Hub – A personalized data insights dashboard
- Trust Accounting – Manage tax and financial reports and industry regulations
- Distribution – Manage listings across major OTAs and niche channels
- Reservation Calendar – Get an at-a-glance overview of stays
- Housekeeping & Management – Save time scheduling and boost standards with prompt maintenance and cleaning
- Owner Portal – Keep owners happy by offering insights via a self-service dashboard
- Reporting – Generate reliable reports and save time by pulling data automatically
- Guest Hospitality – Mobile app for guests to access to reservation and property details
- Integrations – A long list of 94 connections and partnerships, including for payment processing, channel management, marketing, dynamic pricing, insurance, and guest upsells
Like many alternatives to Escapia, the company doesn’t publish pricing on its website. Users can request a quote, which is calculated based on the number of units. Capterra reports that Escapia pricing starts at $9 per property per month. So, $180 for 20 properties, as an example.
Escapia doesn’t offer a free trial.
How does Escapia compare to Streamline?
Like Streamline, Escapia has been operating in the industry for more than 20 years. It also has 100+ features, including trust accounting, so may be better suited for larger businesses that need advanced functionality.
Users particularly enjoy the “ease of use” and how “user-friendly” the user interface is. In contrast, some say they wish Escapia was easier to connect with other tools. They also note that some modules are “cumbersome,” and say some of the features and dashboards “take time to learn” due to their “thorough” nature.
Streamline alternatives: choose the right one for your business
Streamline is powerful, but it can be complex, and may not be right for your company. This is because it positions itself as suitable for larger companies with plans to scale.
If that’s not you, it makes sense to look for alternatives to Streamline, whether you’re looking to switch from your existing PMS or investing in one for the first time.
A PMS should offer a wide range of integrations suited to your business needs and fit the skill level of your end-users. It should also have tools dedicated to improving the guest experience, such as digital guidebooks, and automated messaging via SMS and email.
If you’re looking for an all-in-one, modern platform with excellent support, clear pricing, and a wide range of features designed for VRMs of all sizes, Hostfully will help you take your business from strength to strength.
By contrast, Track can work for larger companies looking to scale further, while Hostaway is another premium solution that offers a huge array of features. OwnerRez offers significant automation at a lower price, while Escapia brings 20+ years of industry experience to its PMS.
Frequently asked questions about Streamline alternatives
What is Streamline used for?
Streamline is an all-in-one property management system with a long history within the vacation rental industry. It offers tools including lead and revenue management, automations, channel distribution, and trust accounting. However, it can be complex to operate and is typically aimed at larger companies with plans to scale, so it isn’t right for everyone. Streamline alternatives include Hostfully, Track, and Hostaway.
Does Streamline work with Airbnb and Vrbo?
Streamline PMS works with Airbnb and Vrbo, via its integrations marketplace. Streamline also has other booking channel integrations (26 out of its 72 total integrations are booking channels). However, many of its other integrations are designed for larger businesses (like call center and phone engagement solutions). If you have a smaller property company with different needs, Streamline alternatives such as Hostfully or OwnerRez may offer integrations that are better suited to your goals. For example, Hostfully offers 14 built-in channel integrations and connections to dedicated channel managers like Rentals United and NextPax.
Is there a Streamline equivalent for multiple property managers?
Streamline works well for property managers with multiple properties. In fact, it is particularly well-suited for managers with a larger portfolio. However, some may find it too complicated for their needs and may look to Streamline alternatives such as Hostfully or OwnerRez.